Sunday, November 4, 2007

What does these sacred pictures/stories tell us that is different from sacred texts

Ok, so this is just notes from that really boring lecture of Images. The guys speaking was terrible and boring and I felt bad saying that because what he was saying had a lot of substance and is something we should think about, but the lecture alone and his droning voice said some things like the following.

We think of most non written mediums as primitive instead of complicated

But then what about the images we see today of itunes and cell phone logos.

Is it necessary to question beauty when looking at paintings?

What is more important. What is in the mind of the creator of a piece? Or does othe emotional response from the viewer create the piece. Is personal reflection more important? Can something mean something without the intentions? And What is the nature of meaning to you? My old English teacher said that the only reason why God is real, or still alive for that matter is because people belive in him. But when people stop believeing what happens to the hero? Does he die? Is he still alive is people don't believe in him?


 

What is the difference in reading a story and seeing story?

Here I go again about the race thing. Many people were probably wondering why I asked people what they typed in when they searched for their religious images. Well I found it interesting that in order to find a religious image that was important/ reflected me I had to type in "black religion" or "black jesus." But if I just type in religious images white jesus and mary just pop up. It is really frustrating. I mean if you really think about it. Like why in the 21st Century when racism is not supposed to exist do I see it everyday I don't think I am being clear or revealing what I am trying to say clear enough. Let me give you another example. So in my house, my parents buy for the most part black films…. When we have Christmas we have a black Christmas. I mean everything from our santa clause, to the angel on top of the tree is black. Now some people may be thinking, well you must be the racist one. In fact, I had a friend (white) come over my house and ask me why I had all black movies and that I was the racist one. She even claimed that all black people were racist because we go out of our way to show our blackness. But what I am arguing is why is black seen as abnormal. I mean I am sure if I walked into plane Jane's house during Christmas, she wouldn't have a black santa. If I looked at Billy's movie collection their would be slim to no black films. Why is the blame, the responsibility of racism put on black people? I hope you understand my arugument. I just feel like we all need to make a collective effort to look at ourselves analyze and criticize ourselves and fix some of the mess that we live in. But it starts with each person on their own.


 

There is so much crazy mess we are living in. Going back to some of the questions above. The media and certain images we see influence our everyday lives so much that it is so hard to see it.

No comments: